Enter your keyword

Communications Design Industry Discussion, Inspiration, & Tutorials

Sep 21, 2012

Need a Web Development Refresher?

In a recent conversation with fellow Pub Design grads, a friend posed the following question:

"I'm about to cross the line from full-on print designer to (teaching myself) web design. I know basic code but not much else. I plan on getting practice by creating a blog - can anyone fill me in on the most important things I should know? I've heard jQuery a ton of times--and any free tutorial sites that will be helpful in this ridiculously scary endeavor..."
This request prompted me to dig around for resources for the self-tutoring designers of the world. Here are links and mini descriptions. I hope this helps.

First, let's be clear, you should have at least basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, and Java Script before delving into the more complex resources below.

Codeacademy boasts that it's the easiest way to learn code. A group of my peers are currently using this resource to bone up on current skills. Check it out...

NetTuts+ This Envato offering has a comprehensive PSD to HTML tutorial. It gives you the tools needed to build a set of site designs. Check it out...

Tuts+Premium 30 Days to Learn jQuery. I'm taking this course now and the bite-sized lessons are great for someone with a short attention span. Check it out...

If you're ready to pay for it, grab a 1 month membership to Lynda.com and use every resource that's available.

No comments:

Popular